Craigslist Home Decor
Are you ready for a change but don’t think you can afford it? Decorating your home, especially with today’s economic issues, can seem like a difficult challenge. You may have even decided to just “live with” what you have. However, there is an alternative – Craigslist.org.
What Is Craigslist?
Craigslist is one of the most popular online classified advertisement sites and can b.e a goldmine for decorators. Unlike some classified sites, Craigslist.org is local so the seller has no shipping fees and the buyer finds good deals they can take home immediately. It is a win-win for everyone involved.
Home Decorating Tips For Craigslist
Once you go to Craigslist.org, you will find your state, and then the city nearest you to begin finding great deals. Here are five tips to help you make the most of your Craigslist experience.
1. Ask Questions. Many Craigslist sellers provide photos of the items with their ad. However, even a photo won’t necessarily tell you everything you need to know. Be sure to ask questions about the condition, style, and constructions of the item. These questions will help you determine if it is worth your time and gas to see it in person.
2. Bargain With the Seller. Most sellers on Craigslist will negotiate with you on the price, especially if the item has been listed for more than 2 or 3 days.
3. Find Freebies. Craigslist.org has a “free” heading in their classifieds. Although many free items are not in great shape, you can often find “diamonds” hidden among the rocks.
4. Don’t Wait. If an item is listed for free, call immediately to be sure the item is still there and go quickly to pick it up. Free items, as well as well-priced items go quickly. Check the site often, as people can add their listings any time of the day and new posts are added constantly.
5. Determine How Far You Will Go. Before you even look at Craigslist.org for your decorating needs, determine how far you will go to look at an item. Going long distances, only to find out that the item described does not really suit your needs, is a waste of time and money.
A Decorating Experiment With Craigslist
In order to show you the kind of incredible decorating bargains available to you on Craigslist, a great experiment was conducted. Was it possible to decorate an entire living room for under $500 using a Craigslist community? With $500 in hand, the search began.
Knowing that the main item in the living room would be seating, finding a couch was the first item on the agenda. After several emails and a couple of unproductive short trips, the pictured sofa and loveseat were purchased for $100.
Once a couch was purchased, the style of the living room was determined. It would definitely be more modern with cleaner lines. However, due to the solid neutral color, accessories would be needed to liven up the area.
An intriguing area rug in excellent condition was purchased for $65 and gave the room a dramatic effect.
Since the area rug had rich earth tones and unusual shapes, it was time to find artwork that accentuated those characteristics. For $37, the following pieces were found:
So far, so good. With a budget of $500, the major pieces had been purchased for $202.
Next came lighting since it is an essential part of room decor. The living room had a large window that provided excellent natural light, but was in need of some kind of window treatment for effect and for nighttime privacy. Additionally, the room had one, ugly overhead light.
Looking in the free section secured a ceiling fan with a light fixture as well as a set of neutral draperies.
Another source of light was purchased for $20. The straight lines of the lamp worked perfectly with the shapes and angles already in the room.
Having spent only $222, another large piece of furniture was possible. For only $25, an entertainment center became part of the living room ensemble. Although it had a few nicks, the general appearance was excellent, the construction was solid, and the style was perfect.
Although the original goal was $500, the entire living room was purchased for under $250! And it only took 3 days!
In these hard economic times, there is no need to give up beauty and style. Logging onto Craigslist is the perfect way to make your outdated or tired room into something new with a budget you can afford.